This role would ideally suit someone keen on agriculture, possibly looking to take their first step into land/grassland management.
Title: Farm Hand/Maintenance
Hours: 07:00 to 17:00 Monday to Sunday, 5 days per week (days will be on a rota basis and may include a Saturday or Sunday each week)
Holidays: 20 days plus 8 Statutory Bank Holidays per annum
- To assist on the yard with all general duties including, but not limited to mucking out, filling water buckets, sweeping.
- To maintain fields and paddocks which will involve clearing the area of manure on a regular basis, removing any unwanted articles (such as fallen branches, litter etc.), any weeds deemed hazardous to horses as well as checking fencing and electric fences daily and fixing the fences when necessary.
- The construction of paddocks and fenced off areas as required.
- To check the water levels in the troughs on a daily basis and re-fill where necessary and to clean out and refill water troughs every few weeks.
- To regularly cut, mow and trim all lawn and non-equine enclosure grass areas.
- To maintain the muck heap by keeping it pushed back regularly and keeping the area tidy.
- To regularly stock check the hay, haylage and shavings supplies and report back to the yard manager when re-ordering is required.
- To be responsible for vermin control on the yard and use the necessary products as directed (only when adequately trained to do so).
- To maintain the wood stack, ensuring all pallets are stacked safely and neatly.
- To oversee the small green container, ensuring it is kept tidy and well organized.
- To harrow the outdoor school when required (dependent on usage) and keep it free from weeds, tidy and clear of unwanted objects.
- To ensure the jumps in the outdoor school are kept neatly stacked and clean and to maintain this equipment.
- To maintain the ATV (Quad Bike) ensuring that the oil, brakes and tyre pressure are regularly checked and to fill in a monthly check sheet for the Yard Manager.
- Responsible for over seeing grassland areas in conjunction with Tullis Matson, Managing Director, and report when spraying, seeding, rolling, harrowing and fencing is required.
- To occasionally use the blower to help keep yard areas clean.
- General weeding as directed.
- To keep an observation on all areas where duties are performed and report back any unusual occurrences.
- To ensure that all areas and work conducted comply with Health and Safety requirements.
Capable and confident in working independently.
Will also be good at working as part of a small team.
Will enjoy working outdoors in varied weather conditions.
Will be conscientious.
The role involves a wide range of responsibilities and therefore you must be keen to turn your hand to new tasks
Please email a cv or description of your work experience and state why this job appeals to: email@example.com