Dairy Herd Team Leader
- South Ormsby Estate
- South Ormsby, Lincolnshire
- Competitive base salary
- Job Sector
- Dairy, Farm Work, Livestock
- Contract Type
The South Ormsby Estate are looking for a Dairy Herd Team Leader to run the Dairy herd activities across the estate and help them to create the best farming estate in the world.
Job Title – Dairy Herd Team Leader
Location – South Ormsby, Lincolnshire
Salary – Competitive base salary, Full Time Position – 37hours Per Week – Monday-Friday
The village of South Ormsby is an estate of c3000 acres nestled within the Lincolnshire Wolds and is an area of outstanding natural beauty, rich in wildlife. The custodians of the South Ormsby Estate are restoring the heritage of the estate and rejuvenating the local economy. Building upon a historic past, their vision is to create the best place to invest, work, live, play and retire to and the best farming estate in the world!
We have a very exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and passionate Dairy Herd Team Leader to add value to our existing businesses through taking responsibility for up to 10 original population
Lincoln Red cattle.
The role will involve choosing 5-10 cattle from the original population Lincoln Red herd as well as working with the Estate’s Herd Manager to be responsible for the care and wellbeing of the animals. The role will involve setting up a small milking unit, to provide milk for cheese making at a local cheese maker. The cheese will be sold as part of ever increasing business ventures on the estate.
The cattle will be milked from February to November and will return to the original herd over the winter. The successful applicant will assist with feeding the main herd over the winter, taking any holidays during this time. Part of the role will be to find a local person to cover for weekend milking on a part time basis. The aim is to build up the dairy herd over the years to meet the required need for the milk for the Massingberd-Mundy brand of hard cheese.
- To pick 5-10 cows from the original Lincoln Red herd
- Design the milking system
- Milking to take place once a day
- Feed and diagnose potential disease and injury of the livestock, ensuring that cattle remain healthy
- Reporting to the Herd Manager
- Growing the herd in-line with demand for the finished cheese product
Dairy Herd Team Leader – Skills & Experience required:
- Understanding of rotational grazing system using electric fences.
- Experience of working on a milk unit and understanding about dairy cattle with a focus on cow health, welfare and production.
- Shows attention to detail in all aspects of their work and a commitment to excellence in all areas.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who has a background in dairy farming with a genuine love of animals.