Assistant Herd Manager, Pembrokeshire
RE Evans Farms Ltd is a family run farming business that comprises of two dairy herds, potato, winter brassica and daffodil production and grassland encompassing over 2,000 acres….
Location: Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire
Salary: A competitive remuneration package is provided
Closes: 31 May 2019
Job Sector: Dairy, Farm Work, Livestock
Contract Type: Permanent.
RE Evans Farms Ltd is a family run farming business based in the heart of Pembrokeshire coast’s National Park and comprises two dairy herds, an earlies to main crop potato programme, winter brassica and daffodil production as well as cereals and grassland encompassing 2,000 acres.
The herd at Lower Broadmoor currently comprises of 400 Friesian/Holstein dairy cows. The farm is approximately 800 acres and at present the herd is autumn/winter calving. The herd average is 10000 litres per annum. Cows are mainly fed on a TMR (total mixed ration).
Milking twice a day through a 40-point internal rotary parlour.
To milk the herd and maintain the parlour and dairy in accordance with milk and dairies regulations whilst achieving top class standards in the areas of hygiene, fertility, footcare and general husbandry
- To assist with management of the unit on a day to day basis to include milking at least once a day out of a twice per day regime.
- To take day to day control of unit in the absence of Herd Manager. - To efficiently maintain the required herd records such as NMR and the medicine book.
- To plan for and meet all necessary hygiene standards
- To carry out all practices necessary to achieve a bactoscan of less than 30 and a somatic cell count of less than 200,000 throughout the year.
- To ensure no antibiotic failures and nil extraneous water in the milk.
- To comply with health and safety regulations.
- To maintain the parlour and dairy hygiene.
- Any other duties to ensure the smooth running of unit.
- To operate the unit with consideration for the environment and national park.
- Maintain a professional and presentable appearance to the business.
- Experience of assisting the management of a dairy unit
- Working knowledge of - DIYAI/genetics/record keeping/Hygiene, requirements/ H & S regulations.
- Ability to use NMR lists, keeping accurate records
- Able to work with little supervision
- Full UK driving licence
- Computer literate.
Salary – negotiable
Accommodation - 3 bedroom family house available
Other benefits - 28 days annual holiday including bank holidays
Contributary Pension scheme
Training & Development opportunities
Schools: there are 2 primary schools near the farm in the villages of Broad Haven, St Ishmaels. A choice of Secondary schools in the nearest town of Haverfordwest approximately 10 miles from Farm Close proximity to a number of beaches on the Pembrokeshire coastal path.
Find out more about RE Evans Farms Ltd by visiting www.reefltd.co.uk
For more information or to apply for this role please click the apply button