Head of Technical Communications
The Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board (AHDB) is a statutory levy board, funded by farmers, growers and others in the supply chain and managed as an independent organisation (independent of both
commercial industry and of Government).
Our purpose is to inspire our farmers, growers and industry to succeed in a rapidly changing world. Our vision is for a world-class food and farming industry inspired by, and competing with the best. Our philosophy is that
levy payers are at the heart of what we do. Team/department purpose
AHDB’s Technical team undertakes significant programmes of research, knowledge transfer and knowledge exchange for its six sectors covering a wide range of subjects. This new role will work closely with the Technical
leadership and management team to identify, plan and create compelling practical content that engages with farmers and growers and stimulates increased use of AHDB’s Technical information and services on farm.
The successful candidate will lead the development and implementation of a Technical communication plan and help develop communications campaigns to raise the profile of the work of the team externally and
internally. They will work closely with colleagues to lead the development of a pipeline of inspiring content that informs farmer decision making and encourages new practices to be applied to the farm business.
A key part of the role is also to work with and mentor colleagues to develop their confidence, create a culture of digital first for technical content and a step change in team profile.
- Lead the development and implementation of a Technical communication plan and Technical campaign communications activity to raise the profile of the work of AHDB Technical externally and internally
- Coordinate the development of the structure and content for AHDB Technical presence on the AHDB website
- Work with Technical and Marcomms colleagues to lead the development of a pipeline of inspiring Technical content that informs farmer decision making and encourages new practices to be applied to the farm business
- Work with colleagues to develop best in class practices for technical content that is actionable and solutions driven for farmers during their working day
- Work with Technical Heads of to develop team confidence and a culture of digital first for technical content
- Support colleagues in their use of social media channels to drive audience use of our Technical content
- Assist in the development and implementation of our farmer engagement strategy ensuring that we understand different audiences and target communications effectively
- Foster a culture of continuous learning from metrics about impact and farmer engagement
- Lead a step change in Technical team profile and internal communication through all available channels
- Promote a positive and collaborative culture within the team that is focused on delivering excellent value for money and AHDB corporate vision.
- Liaise with and influence a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including media and sector opinion formers
- May have line management of staff
- Recognised expert in communications with extensive practical experience
- Experience in managing teams
- Experience in strategic planning and performance management
- Experience in communications campaign planning, developing KPIs and evaluation metrics
- Excellent influencer and project planner
- Excellent understanding of agricultural issues and stakeholder dynamics
- Ability to take complex technical language and convert into exciting, accurate content
- A proven track record in digital content and passionate about customer engagement through digital
- Strong editorial judgement to get to the nub of a story
- Understanding of SEO and writing for web
- Understanding of how to drive audience growth from social media to content
- Strong team player and collaborator
Why work for us?
The world of food and farming is changing rapidly. Working at AHDB you won’t just be helping our farmers grow the food we eat and look after our environment, you’ll be helping shape the future of food production
and leaving a legacy for the next generation.
And while we develop the potential for the industry, we’ll be developing your potential too.
Closing date: 30th June 2019.
Please note, to apply you must be a British citizen or be eligible to work in the UK without sponsorship.
For more information or to apply for the role please click the apply button