PYO Fruit Farm Manager
Farmer Copleys is a working farm, multi award-winning farm shop, café & functions space based on Ravensknowle Farm in Pontefract, West Yorkshire.
We are now looking for an experienced agriculture professional to join us as a Fruit Farm Manager.
You would be expected to take on a variety of responsibilities around the farm, including scheduling ploughing, planting, and harvesting and testing soil for nutrient levels. In addition to actual crop duties, you are also responsible for scheduling maintenance of farm equipment and managing temporary staff at harvest and planting times.
The farm currently has 4km of table-top strawberries with a Dosatron system - all PYO. We also grow and harvest around 29 acres of pumpkins planted into a biodegradable mulch. The current turnover is £750,000 and we want to double this through added crops, raspberries, apples, sprouts, cherries etc. (We are open to suggestions and nothing is off limits).
To be successful you will have experience with various fruit and veg farming techniques, including irrigation and fertilization.
For us, it is also about finding someone who fits with our values of Friendly, Cheeky, Trusted, Welcoming and Honest. Someone who understands the importance of making our customers happy. Someone with a smiling face, a positive attitude, a willing approach, commitment second to none, the ability to keep everyone in the loop and the ability to juggle several things at once.
This is a great opportunity and an exciting time to join us as a new infrastructure and farm layouts will be needed as we look towards cropping in 2021.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Make planting and harvesting decisions
- Managing the farm budget
- Operating and maintaining farm equipment
- Overseeing the sale of crops/PYO
- Inspecting farm facilities for safety due to high public footfall
- Conducting themselves in a friendly and professional manner that positively reflects Farmer Copleys.
Farm Manager Requirements and Qualifications
- Produce farm experience, preferably in a leadership role
- Strong organisational and communication skills
- Physical capability and stamina
- Knowledge of crop market trends
- Ability to keep accurate records
- Knowledge of basic machinery maintenance
- PA1 & PA3 desirable but not essential
- A good insight with the public – everything will offer PYO
- A great team player
This is a fantastic opportunity for the right person so if you think you have what it takes, we would love to hear from you.
Please send a copy of your CV along with a covering letter detailing why this is the perfect job for you and what you bring to Farmer Copleys.