- South Ormsby Estate
- LN11 8QS
- Competitive Salary
- Job Sector
- Animal Health, Dairy, Farm Work, Livestock, Horticulture
- Contract Type
Job Title – Pasture Supervisor
Location – South Ormsby, Lincolnshire
Salary – Competitive base salary - 39hours pw
Benefits – Subsidised accommodation and phone calls paid
The village of South Ormsby is an estate of c3000 acres nestled within the Lincolnshire Wolds and is an area of outstanding natural beauty, rich in wildlife. The custodians of the South Ormsby Estate are restoring the heritage of the estate and rejuvenating the local economy. Building upon a historic past and using the latest technology their vision is to create the best place to invest, work, live, play and retire to.
At South Ormsby Estate we have a pedigree herd of 200 original population Lincoln Red cows, which are on the Rare Breeds Survival Trusts vulnerable list, with only 400 in the UK. We are undergoing organic conversion, we have Pasture for Life accreditation and we place a great deal of focus on biodiversity.
We are seeking a candidate with following skills/ knowledge:
- Regenerative pasture
- Cattle handling and management skills.
Our Pasture Supervisor will work with our farm management team in stewarding the farm landscape, both cultivated and wild, to promote our dual-purpose Beef and Dairy Herd.
Reporting to the Herd Manager the Pasture Supervisor will:
- Oversee soil building strategies; Keyline ploughing; irrigation systems; pasture seeding; related infrastructure oversight; oversee daily movement of animals/fencing across the rotational grazing system
- Work effectively with the farm management team i.e. produce reports etc
- Feed cattle and diagnose potential disease and injury of the livestock, ensuring that cattle remain healthy
- Growing the herd in-line with demand
Pasture Supervisor – Skills & Experience required:
- Passion for working with animals in ecological pasture management and regenerative agriculture, with interest in sharing work with wider farm team and community
- Knowledge and experience of rotational grazing systems using electric fences
- Experience of working on a milking unit would be advantageous as there will be the requirement to covering various aspects of the farming team
- In-depth understanding of cattle with a focus on cow health, welfare and production
- Knowledge of breeding of pedigree cattle
- Passion for soil heath and soil testing
- Experience with farm machinery and equipment including driving truck / tractor / trailer
- Effective time management skills with the ability to priorities tasks and problem solve
- Shows attention to detail in all aspects of their work and a commitment to excellence in all areas.
- Genuine love of animals
- Must always be clean and well-presented
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who has a background in pasture regeneration, silvopasture, organic farming, biodiversity farming, cattle farming, dairy farming, beef farming, pasture management or grazing management experience and a genuine love of animals.
This role would suit a Farm Manager, Dairy Farmer, Cattle Farmer, Organic Farmer or Herdsperson looking to bring their knowledge to this fantastic, forward thinking setting.
To apply for this role or for more information please click the apply button