Mobile Plant Mechanic
- British Antarctic Survey
- Antarctica (Rothera and Halley)
- £24,685 per annum initially.
- BAS 21/02a
- Job Sector
- Engineering & Mechanical, Machinery / Service / Technician
- Contract Type
- Part time / Contract
British Antarctic Survey is offering a unique opportunity as a Mobile Plant Mechanic in Antarctica.
You will maintain and repair a range of mechanical plant and equipment on the station. The roles are based in Rothera and in Halley.
Who we are
British Antarctic Survey (BAS) delivers and enables world-leading interdisciplinary research in the Polar Regions. Our skilled science and support staff based in Cambridge, Antarctica and the Arctic, work together to deliver research that uses the Polar Regions to advance our understanding of Earth as a sustainable planet. Through our extensive logistic capability and know how BAS facilitates access for the British and international science community to the UK polar research operation. Numerous national and international collaborations, combined with an excellent infrastructure help sustain a world leading position for the UK in Antarctic affairs. British Antarctic Survey is a component of the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC). NERC is part of UK Research and Innovation www.ukri.org
We employ experts from many different professions to carry out our Science as well as keep the keep the lights on, feed the research and support teams and keep everyone safe! If you are looking for an opportunity to work with amazing people in one of the most unique places in the world, then British Antarctic Survey could be for you. We aim to attract the best people for those jobs.
• We have a responsibility to do everything that we can to ensure that BAS Ships and Stations remain COVID free and that staff are deployed safely and responsibly. Our medical screening for this season will therefore take account of the recognised factors that increase your risk of an adverse reaction to the coronavirus (Primarily this is BMI at or above 30, age over 60 years old, or a history of smoking). The assessment is done confidentially by our Medical Unit and the criteria might be subject to change.
• You might be required to quarantine two weeks prior to your deployment, and you might sail to Antarctica on our polar ship.
All applications will be checked at point of application by BAS staff and those without the right to work in the UK or without a realistic prospect of being able to acquire the right to work in the UK will not progress.
The main duties of this role is to be able to carry out Machine Plant Diagnostics, Servicing and Repairs to, Agricultural, Industrial, Snowmobile Equipment to the highest standard.
Responsible for the provision of the stations Vehicles, and mobile plant equipment.
You will need to promote and present a professional image and offer service solutions to other departments and frequently liaise with Vehicles Management team.
The objective of this role is to provide BAS with World Class professional service.
C&G / N.V.Q. / B. TECH or equivalent, in a mechanical discipline.
• Build strong and positive relationships with the all departments
• Feedback any important information to Vehicles management.
• To promote BAS in a professional manner.
• To react to any BAS needs quickly, effectively and efficiently
• To carry out repairs to the highest standard to provide a “First Time Fix”
• Possess excellent laptop computer technical diagnostics skills
• Continually look to develop yourself through Courses and other Medias when available
• Service and maintain Equipment to the Manufactures specifications
• Operate mobile plant when required for snow clearance and general station maintenance.
• Maintain and improve vehicles section profile
• Present a professional image at all times
• Carry out all work practices in line with company health and safety policy
• Keep garage and workshops in a safe and tidy condition
• Maintain detailed spare parts inventory
• Contribute to overall success of operations through teamwork and good communication within BAS
• Any other duties as deemed necessary to fulfil the role
• Assist with other station duties as directed by line management
• To communicate efficiently and express your ideas clearly and confidently at all levels verbally, in print and via the telephone
• Teamwork, ability to work confidently within a group and on own initiative
• Time Management, ability to manage time effectively, prioritising tasks and working to deadlines
• Drive and determination to get things done, make things happen and continually looking for better ways of doing things
• Analysing and Investigating, ability to gather information systematically to establish facts and principles for problem solving
• Commercial Awareness, ability to understand the commercial realities affecting the organisation
• Flexibility, ability to adapt successfully to changing situations and environments
• Initiative and Self-Motivation, ability to act on initiative, identify opportunities and be proactive in putting forward ideas & solutions
• Capable of delivering results under pressure and to strict deadlines
• Quality focused
• Honest, reliable, trustworthy, good time keeper
• Ability to be professional, cheerful, co-operative at all times
• Ability to stay motivated
• Clean driving licence and good driving record (if applicable)
To apply for this role or for more information please click the apply button