RESPONSIBLE TO: Mat Products Manager, Arable Manager and Turf Manager
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Mat products production and harvesting tasks, turf production and harvesting, arable field operations when required. Maintenance of Equipment and General Farm Worker duties .
PURPOSE OF JOB
1. To carry out mat products duties such as cultivation, crop establishment, crop maintenance and harvest, including irrigation
2. To assist with Turf and Arable operations
3. To ensure the smooth running and operational activities within the Feltwell Farm
4. To carry out general farm worker duties
5. To ensure Quality Aspects are maintained
6. To carry out work within Health & Safety guidelines
To lay the materials used to grow sedum and wild flower blankets on the beds, which involve a weed barrier the matting and then a layer of substrate. Some of these processes are done to an exacting standard using tractors so an ability to drive large agricultural machinery is essential.
To accurately apply the seed and sprouts (cuttings from other larger plants) to the beds, covering them with shade netting and installing the irrigation equipment.
Irrigation is then applied as required from that point. This can be very regularly and seven days a week in certain weather conditions.
The growing crop then needs to be monitored and cared for by mowing and with applications of fertiliser or chemical, protection from direct sun.
Whilst the crop is growing the area around the matting has to be kept relatively weed free by various methods, which include strimming, weed wiping, knapsack spraying and tractor mounted mowing.
When the matting has reached a point of maturity it is available for sale. You are expected to follow instructions on order forms and accurately cut the required sizes and amounts for each individual order. These are than loaded onto pallets to be dispatched on time. This part of the operation requires a degree of physical fitness.
Other duties may include showing visitors around the plots and possibly some development work with trial areas. To maintain and keep machinery serviced to a high standard.
1. Ensure Estate, yards and fields are kept in a tidy and proper manner
2. General Farm Worker duties
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you may be asked to perform different tasks as necessitated by changing roles within the organisation.
To apply for this role or for more information please click the apply button