Shepherd and Stockperson - Tollishill Farm, Lauder
Vacancy: Shepherd and Stocksperson – Tollishill Farm, Lauder
The Northumberland Estates manages and operates a number of significant and diverse farming businesses in Northumberland and the Scottish Borders.
The holding situated at Tollishill and Kelphope Farms, Lauder extends to approximately 4,370 acres and stocked with an upland flock around 900 blackface hill ewes and 600 inbye ewes crossed to Bluefaced Leicester .
The successful applicant will be expected to manage to a budget in conjunction with external consultants, however will be accountable to the farm’s livestock manager based at Burncastle.
The shepherd will be expected to operate the holding on a day to day basis and duties will include:
- Day to day stock management on the holding including all stock management tasks required
- Abiding by cross compliance requirements under the single payment scheme
- Liaising with the Livestock Manager, gamekeepers, Health and Safety Officer and External Agricultural Consultants as required
- All required record keeping, namely medicine records
- Management of contract staff as required
- Comply with health and safety on the holding
- Any other duties as required by the Northumberland Estates or associated businesses
- Compliance with environmental stewardship requirements and assisting with scheme delivery where applicable.
The successful candidate will occupy a property on the Estate and the position following a probationary period is permanent.
The successful candidate will be an exceptional self starter with excellent communication skills and with a strong background in a similar business. We are looking for an individual who is prepared to work autonomously on a day to day basis, but deliver as part of a wider team in conjunction with managers and the Estate Office.
- Full UK driving licence
- Livestock knowledge attained from practical experience of a farming system of this type
- Full experience in all flock and stock tasks necessary for a holding of this type
- A team of capable sheep dogs
- Quad bike and tractor experience though training will be provided if necessary
- Enthusiasm and a self-starter attitude
- Ability to make decisions and operate independently on a day to day basis
- Ability to work and live in a rural environment
- Knowledge and understanding of budgets, statutory and record keeping requirements for a farming business of this type
- Physically fit to cope with the demands of the role and location of the farm
- Ability to multi-task and organise self and others
- IT skills
- Staff management skills
- PA1, PA2 and PA6 spray certificates
- Local knowledge
- Fencing experience
- Maintenance/mechanical skills
To apply for this role or for more information please click the apply button