Job Title: Dairy Manager
Reports To: Managing Director
Based At: (Company & location): Graham’s The Family Dairy, Bridge of Allan
Accommodation may be provided.
Responsible for the safe and timely production and the storage of all company products and the effective maintenance of equipment, plant and dairy.
Provide leadership and direction for the Production Area, including Dairy, Butter Room, Processing, Cream and Ice Cream at the Bridge of Allan site
Number of Staff: Circa 80
- Responsible for managing and organising the site production activities, from raw materials through to finished product, in an efficient, cost effective, accurate and timely manner in accordance with daily production plans
- To account for packaging, finished goods and wastage
- Ensure Product quality and integrity in line with the Food Safety Act and protecting company reputation.
- Responsible for ensuring all procedures are carried out in accordance with the Company Quality System
- Work with the Technical Manager to maintain BRC Grade A
- Work in conjunction with the technical manager to ensure that all customer, regulatory or accreditation body enquiries, site visits and audits are dealt with in a timely and appropriate manner
- Responsible for the effective process of reporting, managing using KPIs
- Responsible for ensuring that formal documented systems are maintained and developed as appropriate to the overall requirements of the business.
- Ensure that robust systems are in place in respect of production planning and stock control
- Responsible for ensuring morning meetings take place and staff are communicated to on a regular basis
- Ensure effective implementation of new business initiatives, procedures, and policies within an adequate timescale.
- Promote a culture of cost reduction whilst ensuring continuous improvement of manufacturing efficiencies and product quality
- Responsible for safety performance, high standards of housekeeping and risk assessments for the department
- Responsible for a safe and hygienic working environment
- Ensure product quality meets, or exceeds, specification
- Ensure the best Good Manufacturing Practices are always adopted
- People management responsibility; return to work interviews, recruitment interviews, conducting appraisals, inductions, and team briefings
- Responsible for planning and organising and utilising all resources effectively
- Responsible for ensuring all staff wear uniform and PPE
- Responsible for identifying machinery engineering improvements and developing sound business cases for investment in plant and machinery
- Comply with Health and Safety requirements and create a team culture of health and safety within the depot and adheres to HR policies and procedures
- Assist directors as and when required and carry out any other reasonable duties to ensure the effective and smooth running of the dairy.
- Site management experience, ideally from the food or drink industry
- Previous dairy experience preferred
- Good general level of education preferably to HNC/HND standard in food technology and mechanical engineering or equivalent
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED (e.g. manual dexterity, mechanical, computer skills)
- Performance Management of People
- Good leadership skills
- Organised and systematic approach with ability to effectively prioritise workload
- Creative problem-solving
- Project Management skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to persuade and influence at all levels
- Good written and verbal communication skills at all levels