Assistant Dairyperson (2IC)
Family dairy farm near Lutterworth, Leicestershire
Seeks a highly motivated person to join a small team in the milking and health care of 380, autumn calving Friesian Holstein cows. The successful applicant will work with the herdsman and farm owners to ensure the cows are milked through a modern 30/60 herringbone parlour and ensure the herd health & welfare is of a high standard.
This is a new role to allow a rota system to be established to ensure all staff have a strong work/life balance.
The herd is cubicle housed through winter and fed a simple forage-based diet with extensive grazing through the spring, summer and autumn.
The role can be moulded to suit the right applicant with an emphasis on cow and youngstock management, with some machinery work, depending on experience of candidate.
The successful applicant will have a proven track record of:
- Milking cows and maintaining a high standard of milk quality
- Good communication skills
- Basic animals health and welfare tasks – identifying and treating mastitis, young calf feeding, calving cows
- Basic computer literacy
- An ability to work un-supervised and as part of a team
- Operating basic farm machinery – tractor etc
- On-going training and development will be part of the package for the successful applicant
- Could suit a college graduate or couple wishing to share the role
In return you will be offered:
- A competitive salary
- Regular time off
To apply, click the apply button now!