Technical Executive - Dairy, Beef and Lamb
- Red Tractor (Assured Food Standards)
- Hybrid working / London office
- Circ £25-£34k depending on experience
- Job Sector
- Dairy, Food & Produce, Livestock, Beef, Technical
- Contract Type
This new role is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and progressive individual to join the dynamic, knowledgeable and professional Red Tractor Technical Team working in the dairy, beef and lamb sector. The successful candidate will benefit from experience working within the world leading farm assurance scheme and collaborating with key stakeholders in the farm and food supply chain to ensure the standards are fit for purpose and respected by the industry. The role will suit a candidate with relevant work experience now looking for a second role or a strong graduate with relevant placement experience.
Assured Food Standards (AFS) manages and promotes the world-leading Red Tractor food chain assurance scheme. It is a fundamental part of the entire food chain, from farmers to shoppers via retail and the food service industry. It reassures shoppers that the £14bn worth of food and drink carrying the Red Tractor logo is traceable, safe and farmed with care. With a bold ambition of becoming the “Flagship of British Food & Farming” based on world class standards, independent assurance and robust compliance, Red Tractor is a progressive and critical body within the food & drink industry.
Reporting to: Technical Manager (Dairy, Beef and Lamb)
Key responsibilities include:
- Support the Technical Manager in the development of Red Tractor dairy, beef and lamb farm, livestock transport and markets and collection centre standards
- Reviewing specific aspects of the Red Tractor standards, obtaining details of relevant external references (eg research / legislation / good practice) and providing technical expertise
- Keep a watching brief on developments in the farming sectors, general Government and NGO initiatives and campaigns, competitor schemes from overseas and legislation to help inform standards development
- Prepare papers for and participate in Technical Working Groups in which changes to standards are discussed and agreed
- Support the implementation of revised standards across the schemes providing guidance to members and assessors on new requirements
- Liaise with a wide range of stakeholders, including farmers, processors, retailers, foodservice, trade associations and government, to understand their expectations and explain Red Tractor position
- Contribute to the delivery of the wider RT Technical Strategy as a key member of the Technical team
- Provide technical support to the Communications and Marketing teams to support activities
- Representing Red Tractor externally – presenting at and attending industry and stakeholder meetings and farmer facing events to promote membership benefits
Knowledge and Skills
- Degree (preferably Agriculture related but not essential)
- Background in agriculture / food production / livestock production gained through education or family connections and relevant work experience
- Attention to detail particularly around reading and writing technical documents
- Understanding of farm assurance schemes and their role in the supply chain
- Ability to understand and follow procedures and instructions
- Confident presenter both internally and externally
- Computer literate
- Self-motivated, articulate and well organised
- Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time
Working Hours and Benefits
This position will work a total of 37.5 hours per week. The normal core hours are 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. It may, however, be necessary on occasion to work outside these hours to meet the demands of the business.
Location and Travel
Based in the London office with hybrid working arrangements.
Closing date for applications Monday 10th January 2022. Position available immediately.
Please send an up to date CV and covering letter for the attention of Philippa Wiltshire to email@example.com