We are looking to employ an enthusiastic, forward thinking youngstock manager who is willing to work as part of a team and with a keen eye for attention to detail.
Circa 530 cows, calving all year round, milked 3 times a day, achieving over 13000 litres per cow (milk sold). Current milk solids/quality of around 3.90 Butterfat, 3.35 Protein, Bactoscan 20 and SCC 90
- 400 head of youngstock, average age of first calving is 22.5 months.
- Preg rate, 28% cows, 38% maiden heifers, services per pregnancy, cows 2.48, heifers 1.94.
- 5.1 cases of mastitis per 100 cows with no antibiotics at drying off
Your main everyday role will be focussing on rearing and managing calves between birth and 5 months old. This will include:
- Caring for all fresh calves including feeding, bedding, vets and meds, disbudding, vaccinations and tagging.
- Monitoring colostrum quality and ensuring fresh calves receive the correct amount
- Weaning procedures and protocols, weighing or other forms of monitoring growth and setting daily live weight gain targets.
- Preventing disease and dealing with any outbreaks.
- Working with other managers on the unit to ensure that youngstock after weaning remains healthy, vaccination procedures are completed and DLW targets are met and that heifers reach bulling at the correct age and weight.
- Working closely with the owners, herd manager, vets, consultants, and other farm staff.
- Alongside this you will be expected to work with the dairy team and also be included in milking duties when the time allows.
One of the key aspects of this role will be monitoring and spotting potential problems before they develop. You will work closely with the youngstock team to ensure high standards are met and maintained.
You will be expected to lead the youngstock team and to set and follow a good example. The dedicated youngstock team will be answerable to you and it will be your responsibility for ensuring all jobs are done correctly.
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Accommodation close to the farm
- Calf feeding starts at 6 am
- Every other weekend off
- Management role within the structure of a superbly run farm
- Excellent on farm and off farm training and support
For an informal discussion or to apply, please click the apply button now.