Title: Farm Worker
Job Reference: AUG20222686
Time: Full Time
Industry: Agriculture Fishing and Forestry
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days Annual Leave
Location: Lake Vyrnwy, SY10 0LZ
Salary: £26,180 - £29,043 Per Annum
We are looking for experienced farm workers with practical, hands-on experience of sheep and cattle farming in the uplands to join an established team managing a 4800-hectare upland farm situated on the Lake Vyrnwy Estate, Powys.
The farm, which is managed by the RSPB on behalf of landowner Hafren Dyfrdwy, is the largest organic farm in England and Wales with sheep, beef cattle and ponies. It is operated to achieve a range of important outcomes relating to sustainable land management, water catchment issues and conservation.
The successful applicant must have at least one fully trained working sheep dog to bring with them to the role. The role also involves working in a team which is responsible for livestock care and management to meet agreed objectives.
Key activities for the role include:
- The daily care of livestock including feeding and movement of livestock.
- The daily assessment of livestock welfare and health, raising issues and supporting with the administration of prescribed medicines and treatments.
- A range of agricultural tractor work. I.e., feeding, bedding down, hay making activities and transportation of livestock.
- Basic record keeping relating to animal movements and livestock health and welfare, to ensure compliance with regulations and agricultural best practice.
- The basic maintenance and operation of machinery and agricultural equipment.
- Communication between contractors.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Practical ability in the handling and movement of livestock including feeding, calving and lambing.
- Practical competent handler in the movement of livestock (mainly sheep) using sheep dogs and ATV quad bikes
- Practical ability in lambing, crutching, shearing, tagging, drenching etc.
- Proven ability to work in a team; problem solving and personal organisation skills.
- High level of knowledge in cattle and sheep husbandry particularly recognising and acting upon animal health and welfare issues requirements.
- Proven practical skills such as building and maintaining fences, gates, ditches and livestock holding pens.
- Knowledge and experience of the essential record keeping in terms of animal identification, animal movements, veterinary treatments and animal health.
- Knowledge of the health, safety and welfare issues applying to agricultural operations and management (e.g. risk assessments).
- Appreciation of the use of grazing as a conservation management tool.
The successful applicant will ideally have access to two trained sheep dogs.
Closing Date: 22:59, 2nd October 2022
If you would like to find out more, please click the apply button. You will be directed to our website to complete your application for this position.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
No agencies please.