Farm Stock Person (Cattle & Sheep)
Castletown Estate Farm is a 4000 acre farm between the Esk and the Eden in the heart of the Solway Estuary, selling 1200 finished beef cattle a year and growing dairy forages. The challenge of economically grazing 2500 acres of salt marsh, covered by the sea at high spring tides, to provide habitat for nesting waders and tens of thousands of wintering wildfowl. Well supported by Natural England, this internationally important wildlife jewel has been transformed. Imaginative conservation also provides wildlife rich woodlands and meadows through the productive remainder of the farmland, with exciting potential to push conservation even further in the future. The Estate won the 2018 National Silver Lapwing Award which is for farming and conservation excellence.
Reporting directly to the Farm Manager and taking guidance from the Shepherd and Farm Foreman you will be working with 1200 ewe flock, 1000 finishing beef cattle and spring calving cows.
- Working with all aspects of the cattle herd including calving, feeding, clipping, sorting and dosing
- Selecting cattle and sheep for sale and replacements
- Tractor work feeding the cattle
- Assist the Shepherd with some aspects of the sheep flock, including lambing, feeding, sorting and dosing
- Herding of both sheep and cattle during the summer months whilst on the salt marsh, or inland grazing
- Ability to work, or learn to work with dogs to help herding
- Some maintenance of infrastructure including fence repairs, keeping handling areas clean and setting up sheds
- You may also be required to assist with cropping
- Keeping accurate records of time spent on different enterprises and of livestock numbers
- Previous experience in livestock skills and dealing with the day to day running of a farm
- Positive can-do attitude along with the ability to work to a high standard without supervision
- Animal welfare
- Flexibility and willingness to learn
- Time management skills
- Full Driving licence
- You will be required to live on site in a house provided for a small annual charge
You will be entitled to 28 days holiday (including bank and public holidays).
A discretionary bonus scheme is in place.