Due to continued development of our client’s superb dairy unit near Shrewsbury we require a full time young stock manager to not only consolidate but improve all aspects of young stock management, especially young calves. This really is one of the UKs finest dairy units, with fantastic results (please see a brief of the farm below).
- 534 cows achieving 13062 litres per cow (milk sold). Currently 487 in milk. Current milk solids/quality of 3.92 Butterfat, 3.34 Protein, Bactoscan 20 and SCC 96
- 247 head of youngstock, average age of first bulling is 22.5 months.
- Preg rate, 25% cows, 36.8% maiden heifers, services per pregnancy, cows 2.48, heifers 1.94.
- 7.8 cases of mastitis per 100 cows with very little antibiotics at drying off
- Vaccinations include: Rispoval4, Ringvac, BVD + IBR from 6 months old twice a year (BVD tag and test), Rotavec pre calving, bulk monitor for Lepto and Johnnes.
This will be a concentrated role with focus on the young stock side of the business, from freshly born calves through to bulling heifers. In brief the role includes as follows.
- Caring to all fresh calves including feeding, bedding, vets and meds, disbudding, vaccinations, tagging and registration.
- Weaning procedures and protocols, weighing or other forms of monitoring growth and setting daily live weight gain targets.
- Preventing disease and dealing with any outbreaks.
- Working with other managers on the unit to ensure that youngstock after
weaning remains healthy, vaccination procedures are completed and DLW targets are met and that heifers reach bulling at the correct age and weight.
- Working closely with the owners, vets, consultants and other farm staff.
You must be enthusiastic, willing to work as part of a team and be extremely contentious with excellent attention to detail.
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Accommodation close to the farm
- Approx 6.30/7 starts
- Management role within the structure of a superbly run farm
- Excellent on farm and off farm training and support
For more information or to apply for this role please click the apply button